Saturday, January 2, 2010

Costa Rica- Day 1



If I had to choose one word to describe today it would be- long. I had barely slept the night before because of the excitement stirring inside of me. I couldn't wait to be in Costa Rica doing what I love. I hugged my mom and dad goodbye and waved a final farewell after I got through security. I knew my nerves would not be completely calm until I was united with my fellow Wesley friends. About 8:15 we were all ready to board the plane, passports in hand! Jordan and I were quite chipper in the back of the plane, but then again we didn't have to leave at 3 am like our friends from Oklahoma. After what seemed to be forever we touched down in Costa Rica! The switch had been made from English to Spanish and we boarded the bus! Little did we know that the bus driver Luis would become our friend and turned out to be quite a joker! We took a short bus ride from San Jose to Carrillos de Poas, which would become our home for the next week. We lugged our suitcases up the hill to the house where we were introduced to the interns, Charlie and the sweet kitchen staff. Our tummies rumbled as the staff pointed out the sandwitches they had prepared us for lunch! After lunch the girls got situated in their room and then we took a tour around town and visited the worksite where we would be working on building a foundation for a playground.
We ate dinner and before you knew it we were all in bed- yes by 8:30. We should have taken a picture because it might be the last time you see a group of college students in bed before 12.
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment